Rothwell Grange, Rotherham
Client: Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council
Project: Design of 40 New Dwellings
Location: Broom Valley Road, Rotherham
Rothwell Grange is a key strategic development site within the Shared Ownership and Affordable Housing Programme (SOAHP) grant allocation for Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council. The site for the development is the former nursing home on Broom Valley Road, Rotherham, identified for 100% affordable housing.
Self Architects was commissioned to carry out RIBA Stages 0-2: Concept Design using the YORconsult Framework and started work in May 2018. We identified several key design drivers including:
• Re-establish the urban grid and sense of place along Broom Valley Road.
• Generate adequate distance between the new development and existing
• Use existing levels and site topography to an advantage.
• Improve the natural surveillance of external spaces / public realm.
• Maximise the number of units for each type of development.
• Benefit from stunning long-distance views towards the north and east from
The multimillion-pound scheme will deliver 42 homes suitable for a range of households. These include 20 no. two-bed apartments and 8 no. one-bed apartments, along with 8 no. two-bed maisonettes and 6 no. two-bedroomed bungalows. All ground floor apartments have small gardens and residents in the upper-floor dwellings will have generous balconies.
The scheme was designed to incorporate three new housetypes including an innovative design for a ‘Hillside Apartment’ with access from each side into the ground and first floor levels. The scheme is currently awaiting planning approval and construction on site will commence in 2019.
Half the properties will be sold on a shared ownership basis and the remaining 50% will be retained by Rotherham Council as rental properties.